What Are the Five Areas of Interaction?
The Areas of Interaction are five themes that teachers weave throughout all the courses taught at SVMS and SVHS. The Areas of Interaction provide the MYP's main focus for developing links between the traditional academic Subject Groups, so that students will learn to view their education as an integration of knowledge and experience.
The process of acquiring skills and information, along with developing personal values and self-awareness, gives each student the opportunity to take some responsibility for his or her own education.
- Approaches to Learning is concerned with the intellectual discipline, attitudes, strategies, and skills that will result in critical, coherent, and independent thought. This theme helps students develop self-discipline and a capacity for problem solving that allows them to produce high-quality work.
- Community Service is a theme that emphasizes community awareness and concern, a sense of civic responsibility, working cooperatively, and the skills needed to make an effective contribution to society.
- Health and Social Education is a theme that prepares students for a physically and mentally healthy life and helps them develop a sense of responsibility for their own well being.
- Environment is a theme that develops the students' awareness of the interdependence of humans and nature. Students learn investigative and problem-solving strategies, which will encourage them to accept responsibility for maintaining an environment fit for the future.
- Homo Faber is concerned with human creative genius and the impact of this creativity on society and the human mind over time. Students learn to appreciate the human capacity to influence, transform, enjoy, and improve the quality of life. Learning about homo faber therefore encourages students to see the relationships between science, aesthetics, technology, and ethics over time.
- What Are the Eight MYP Subject Groups?
- What Is the Middle Years Program ("MYP")?
- How Do Students Benefit from the IB MYP?
Go back to Home Page for "Frequently Asked Questions About the IB MYP".
|Scotts Valley Unified School District
4444 Scotts Valley Drive
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
Voice: (831) 438-1820
FAX: (831) 438-2314
For questions about this document, *click here* to send e-mail to